Syrup and Waffles

Several months ago I commented that Obama's run for the presidency will allow many Americans to see a side of their country they've never seen before. I was referring to what a friend of mine, let's call him, Tex, calls benign racism. Whenever he used that term, I would always respond there is nothing benign about racism.

Tex and I had many brutally honest conversations about spirituality, family, race and what it means to be a black woman in America and a white man in America. The last conversation left us both battered and bruised, and for a long time I wasn't sure if we were still friends or if I wanted to remain his friend. However, I do love this guy. He is the sincere, honest, fun younger white brother that I never had.

And here is what I wish I had said to him during that last conversation.

I cannot understand how you as a human being and Christian, feel that you should be able to say whatever you want about another child of God. We have an obligation to treat others the way we want to be treated. It's really that simple. Just about every community, whether it be religious or familial includes that basic tenet. If everybody managed to follow that principle we would all be better off.

The current long running political season with its blundering around gender, race, and age has been wearying. It's not over yet. I fear we'll have a great deal more do unto others before they do unto you in the next 50 or so days.

In the meantime, I'll go buy some Aunt Jemima syrup to go on my Obama waffles.

Comments

hscfree said…
Well to add to that, you know that the financial crisis falls on the shoulders of the undeserving minorities and broke folk who tried to "move on up to the East side." That's according to some. Check out the latest post on the wsns.