Smart and Stubborn

Next month Annie turns eight years old. The celebration will be minimal...she'll get some extra treats and a new toy or two. There will not be any cake or balloons, nor will I force my kitty to wear any sort of outfit.

Over the past months I have been listening to the radio program "Calling All Pets." I have realized that Annie is not getting enough exercise, she is probably bored, and mistakes were made, by me, in raising her. A logical question is why bother? She's eight years old! She's a cat! Don't I have anything better to with my time?

Well, yes I have better things to do with my time. That doesn't mean that I'm going to do them.

Annie's predecessor lived to be nineteen. Granted Annie has bad gums, arthritis, and a bad knee, but I honestly don't believe her life is half over. Annie and I have another decade to live together, and I am committed to improving the quality of both of our lives.

What does this mean? I have decided to tackle the exercise and boredom by teaching Annie some tricks. I have also decided to document this process so that others may laugh at and learn from our progress. Here are the tasks we're going to learn:

  • To come when called.
  • Not to scratch furniture.
  • To accept teeth cleaning.
  • To like different foods.
  • To pose for photographs.
  • How to walk on a lead.
  • How to sit.
  • To sit up on hindlegs.
  • To shake hands.
  • To retrieve.
  • To lie down.
  • To roll over.
  • To jump through a hoop.

Those of you who interact with cats on a regular basis are probably laughing hysterically by now. Or seriously questioning my sanity. Those of you who have met Annie are already calling the men in white coats to come and get me because you are convinced I have finally, truly, deeply lost my mind. I believe this can work. Annie is smart and stubborn. I am smart and stubborn. But I have opposable thumbs, a bigger brain, and provide the treats. I can use at least one of those things to my advantage.

I will keep you updated on our progress.

Comments

Lisa said…
I just finished My Cat Spit McGee. If Willie Morris can leash train a cat, so can you!