Just say no.

One of the things that I like about cats is that they assume if they want something, they should ask for it. Saying no to them doesn't work out so well because cats are not so good with no.


Annie usually asks for breakfast starting around 5:00 am. I can usually put her off until 5:30, maybe 6:00 if I'm lucky. She is my four legged alarm clock.


Yesterday morning the alarm clock did not show up asking for breakfast. I woke up around 6:00 and she was nowhere in sight. As I headed out of the bedroom, I saw her slouching underneath the bed. She had an unusual look on her face. It wasn't the usual "I just woke up please let me outside and feed me" look. This was different. She looked dazed.


I headed to the kitchen and she followed me. Annie usually leads the way with persistent asking for food in the bowl. I looked into her water bowl and noticed a lot of stuff floating in it. I scratched my head because the stuff clearly was not cat food or litter or any of the other usual suspects. Then I looked onto the kitchen counter. Annie found the dried catnip, tore open the bag, and had herself a catnip party. Judging by her lethargy, it wasn't a little party. It was a big party.

Annie was hungover.

She spent all of yesterday recovering. I came home a little early from work, and I did not get my usual greeting at the door. She was asleep. I woke Annie up to make sure she was all right. She was not happy with me about the wake up, but was excited about being able to go outside and sun herself on the balcony.

In the early evening I tried to get her to play with some of her new toys, but there was no interest. Annie only wanted to sleep and sit next to me on the sofa. So, that's what we did.

I am happy to report that this morning, she showed up at 6:00 am to wake me up. She seems to have completely recovered.

I learned my lesson, too. The dried catnip is now safely stored in a Rubbermaid container.

Comments