In addition to participating in the democratic process, one of the things I like about voting is getting my "I Voted Today" sticker. I proudly wear it all day.
This morning after I cast my ballot, I headed for the exit and to receive my sticker. I stuck out my index finger to the woman handing out the stickers. She looked confused. She stepped towards me and it was clear she wanted to affix the sticker to me. I held my ground and further extended my arm so that my index finger was closer to her.
She looked even more confused. I got the feeling she felt it was her duty to actually put the "I Voted Today" sticker on my coat. I continued to hold my ground, and eventually she put the sticker on my finger. I opened up my coat, and put the sticker on my turtleneck.
I wanted to say, Lady, if the Commonwealth of Virginia can trust me to cast a vote to help decide the Leader of the Free World, I think you can trust me to put a sticker on myself. Then again, it was an electronic voting machine without a paper receipt so who really knows what happened to my vote.
This morning after I cast my ballot, I headed for the exit and to receive my sticker. I stuck out my index finger to the woman handing out the stickers. She looked confused. She stepped towards me and it was clear she wanted to affix the sticker to me. I held my ground and further extended my arm so that my index finger was closer to her.
She looked even more confused. I got the feeling she felt it was her duty to actually put the "I Voted Today" sticker on my coat. I continued to hold my ground, and eventually she put the sticker on my finger. I opened up my coat, and put the sticker on my turtleneck.
I wanted to say, Lady, if the Commonwealth of Virginia can trust me to cast a vote to help decide the Leader of the Free World, I think you can trust me to put a sticker on myself. Then again, it was an electronic voting machine without a paper receipt so who really knows what happened to my vote.
Comments