As I’ve said before, one of the things I like about my job is the option to work from home. Over the holidays, I was trying to figure out my travel schedule. When to head to GA, when to come back, how many days to take off, that sort of thing. I finally worked out the plan of driving to GA on the 22nd, driving back on the 27th and working from home on the 28th.
Then one afternoon at work…the light bulb finally went off. Working from home means working from a home, not necessarily my home. As Short L has said to me on more than one occasion, “You’re cute, but sometimes you’re kinda’ slow.” My new plan was to telework* on the 27th and 28th, and drive back on the 29th.
Thursday morning dawned bright and early. I set up my laptop in my parent’s library and finally got connected to my company’s intranet. MMTM knocked on the library door and asked, “What time do you normally eat lunch?” I said, Oh, sometime between 12:30 – 1:30.
I’m working away. Phil (more about him later) comes into the library and decides to nap on the sofa. He naps. I check email. Make some phone calls. In general, be productive. I look out the window and see a flock of cardinals sitting in the tree. They are beautiful: the males in their bright red coats, and the females in their reddish-brown feathers. Every once in a while, a hawk swoops down and I see him coasting the sky. I say a little prayer that he’s not hunting the lovely cardinals.
At 12:30, there’s another knock at the library door, and MMTM calls out, “Your lunch is ready.” I think that was the best turkey club sandwich I’ve ever eaten. It even came with chips and a pickle! When I thanked MMTM for making my lunch, she said, “People who go to work in this house get fed lunch.” I did feel a little embarrassed because I’m not farming, laying roofs, or any sort of physical labor. I’m doing research and analysis while sitting in a lovely library with beautiful birds flying by!
*sigh*
*I love the fact that spell check wants to change "telework" to "teleport."
Comments
What a lovely day at work! It makes me reconsider what I call a "good day" at the office. Bleh.
Happy New Year!