Apology From Agency Head for Costume
I do not have either the energy or the breath to be angry about this story. Instead I am annoyed. But I am not annoyed for the reasons you may think.
It is not the fact that ICE employee dressed in black face dark make up, dreadlocks, and a prisoner's uniform for a Halloween party.
It is not the fact that the ICE Director posed for pictures with the employee.
It is not the fact that the ICE Director, the person responsible for implementing immigration policies, did not realize that someone in dark make up, dreadlocks, and a prisoner's uniform just might be an offensive costume until somebody told her.
It is not the fact that the employees who told the ICE Director that the costume was offensive are being criticized for being too sensitive.
I am annoyed because the employee was awarded a prize by a three judge panel for an "original" costume.
Ladies and Gentlemen, when is blackface original? D.W. Griffin had characters in blackface in "Birth of a Nation." Al Jolson was in blackface in "The Jazz Singer." Every Halloween, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Black History Month, Spring Break, Summer Holiday, somebody in America puts on blackface, photos/video are taken, it's posted to Facebook or MySpace or YouTube, the general public finds out, and there's a rushed, mumbled, sometimes tearful apology.
A text message. An iPhone. A Facebook page. The flu vaccine. A NetFlix envelope. Those are original costumes. Dressing in blackface and a prisoner's uniform is not an original costume.
Please do not make me say this again. I really do not have the time for it.
Comments