My Bad Musical Safe

Last week I sent the following email to a few friends...

"They" say that admitting you have a problem is the first step. So, I'm admitting my problem...
Last night I started to inventory my CD collection and realized that I have awful taste in music. We all have youthful indiscretions in our musical past, but this is just sad. Part of my problem is that I mostly listen to WNERD aka National Public Radio. NPR features musical groups on a regular basis, but it's not a music station. I read music reviews in Entertainment Weekly, but I never quite get around to buying the music.

Here's the informal poll...

In your opinion, what are the albums that I absolutely must have in my musical collection? Same goes for artists.

Here are the response:

From James in Pretoria....

  • India Arie
  • Beth Orton
  • Tracy Chapman
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Erika Badu
  • Nina Simone (of course)
From Jeffrey in DC....
  • It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back -- Public Enemy
  • Tracy Chapman -- Tracy Chapman
  • Hatful of Hollow -- The Smiths
  • Reconstruction of the Fables -- REM
  • Brand New Heavies -- Brand New Heavies
  • Diamond Life -- Sade
  • Blood Sugar Sex Magic -- Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Pretty In Pink -- Soundtrack
  • Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil -- Soundtrack
  • Paid In Full -- Eric B. and Rakim
  • Parachutes -- Coldplay
  • Ray of Light -- Madonna
  • Solitude Standing -- Suzanne Vega
  • Dulcinea -- Toad the Wet Sprocket
  • Baduizm -- Erykah Badu
  • Debut -- Bjork
  • Blame It On Me -- Alana Davis
  • Jazzmatazz, Volume 1 -- Guru
  • Plantation Lullabies -- Meshell NdegeOcello
  • Moodswing -- Joshua Redman Quartet
  • The Joshua Tree -- U2
  • Sign O the Times -- Prince
  • A Charlie Brown Christmas -- Vince Guaraldi
  • Listen Like Thieves -- INXS
  • Zagora -- Loose Ends
  • Cupid Psyche 85 -- Scritti Politti
  • Under the Table and Dreaming -- Dave Matthews Band

I'm still waiting to hear from the other folks that I polled. You know who you are...save me from my music collection!

Now I need to update my wish list. Yes, I know...this is a testament to my greed and desire for things. Every time I see something cool that I want to try out, I toss it on my Wish List. That's particularly true with the books. It's a good place to store things that I keep meaning to read, but just quite haven't gotten around to yet.

Comments