Movie(s) I've seen in the past week:
The Grand Hotel
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
To use the technical term, I’m having problems updating the movie list because the file is jacked up. Although, I think I may have resolved them. Stay tuned…
I haven’t watched “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?” even though it’s been sitting next to the DVD player for a few weeks. My enthusiasm is pretty low because I’ve lived that scenario. About 50% of the men I’ve dated have been white. My parents have been surprised when I showed up with a white guy, and their parents have been surprised when they’ve shown up with a black woman. Everybody is polite and a good time is had by all, but there’s always that moment when the parents get the “OMGSB” look in their eyes. It normally doesn’t last for very long, but it’s a pretty easy look to spot.
Every time it happens I lecture my date about it. Why didn’t you tell them that I’m black? Because it doesn’t matter. Yes, it does matter. I’m a black woman. It’s fine for you to mention that when you describe me. To leave it out means leaving out a whole portion of who I am. Yeah, but my parents don’t care that you’re black. Fine if they don’t care, then tell them. More importantly, I care that I’m a black woman. The conversation goes around and around. Eventually, somehow I impress upon them that even though his parents maybe perfectly accepting of this professional, kind, well edumacated black woman, he should tell them ahead of time.
And yes, I have started telling my parents the race of a guy before they meet him. I don’t usually say, Hey, I’m bringing home another white guy, but I do work some other indicator of race into the conversation. Although, a guy has to clear a lot of hurdles before he gets to meet Eddie & Betty.
Ok…here’s the update on Southside 815. The portions are ginormous. The lemonade is straight from a Snapple jar. The service was attentive.
Movies sitting next to the DVD player:
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?
Buena Vista Social Club
The Wild Bunch
Comments