I'm a bit torn. Netflix has teamed up with Wal-Mart. For a range of reasons, I believe Wal-Mart is evil. I've spent months hectoring my father about all of the reasons why he shouldn't shop at Wal-Mart. The man loves that store. I've beaten him down so much that when he knows I'm coming to visit, he gets in all of his Wal-Mart shopping before I arrive. He also thinks twice about buying a gift for me there. But he still shops there because it's cheap. Now I'm searching for other alternatives for online DVD rentals. I maybe switching to Blockbuster or some other smaller service that's less obviously a partner with evil.
Movies I've seen in the past week:
The Searchers
Four Little Girls
A Great Day in Harlem
Four Little Girls is worth seeing just for the look on Ed's face when George Wallace declares, "My best friend is Black", and asks Ed to come into camera range. Four Little Girls is a reminder that the Civil Rights Movement was not just marches and people singing "We Shall Overcome." It was bloody, violent, and people were killed by lynching, bombs, and beatings. If you haven't seen "Eyes on the Prize," borrow it from your local public library or dvd store. It's a multipart series and definitely worth seeing.
Comments